Re: [APD] nitrogen requirements

With moderate lighting and no added CO2, fish food/poop can
be adequate. But if you've got added CO2 and more than
about 2 watts per gallon, your plants probalby get hungry.
If you added some KNO3, you might find the  ppm will go up
right after and dive way down very soon after.

Scott H.
--- Greg Idemoto <gidemoto at hotmail_com> wrote:

> I understand the NItrogen/ NItrate is one of the
> macronutrients and
> essential for plants. I also notice that many of you
> supplement it.
>
> My question is this:
>
> If you have a heavy fishload, could you get by with just
> the nitrogen the
> fish leave behind? I have a 40 gallon long with 17
> cardinals, 7 dwarf
> loaches, 4 SAEs, 2 apistos and a few odd tetras. I don't
> really dose N by
> itself, although I add iron and potassium every few days,
> as well as Tropica
> Mastergrow after a water change.
>
> My tank specs are pressurized CO2 about 25ppm, 260W
> Compact Flourescent.
> Full 130W for 10 hours, the other 130W goes on for 4
> hours of the 10.

=====
Christel Kasselmann,
author of the best current authoritative text on aquatic plants
will be a featured speaker at
The Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies 30th Annual Convention.
March 18-20, 2005 at the Marriott Hotel, Farmington, CT