Re: [APD] Snail control

Unless it's a big tank, better make that a dwarf loach.
Clowns eventually get quite large.

But the loaches will get them all, or at least all that can
be seen. Takes a few weeks, but they get 'em!

sh
--- dstringf at comcast_net wrote:

> If you want to do it the "natural" way, I suggest adding
> a clown loach to the tank. He'll make quick work of the
> pesky snails.
>

> > I have a population explosion of snails in my 30T tank.
>  I say they are
> > ramshorns - they are planispiral and reddish in color.
> They are very
> > thin-shelled and crush easily but at the slightest
> disturbance they drop to the
> > bottom of the tank where I cannot reach them.
> Ordinarily they attack only dead
> > vegetation but are beginning to dames my Echinodorus
> and Aponogetons.  Any ideas
> > on pest control?
> >
> > I have one idea.  I have plastic net pots, like those
> used y commercial aquarium
> > plant growers but largere. I'm thinking I could put
> some bait in one, weigh it
> > down with some gravel, and lower it on fishing line
> into the tank.  In the
> > morning I would use the line to retrieve the pot and
> the snails But what should
> > I use for bait?  Would frozen spinach be a good bait?
> >
> > Kenneth Quinn

=====
Christel Kasselmann,
author of the best current authoritative text on aquatic plants
will be a featured speaker at
The Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies 30th Annual Convention.
March 18-20, 2005 at the Marriott Hotel, Farmington, CT