[APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 17, Issue 25

Undocumented magnetic water filters???  I haven't been reading this lately, and
think I missed something.... I don't think it is worth worrying about, though!
:)

It sounds like you have some kind of zooplankton in there, which is probably a
copepod.  I'd say that 99.9% of the copepods we encounter are not going to be
parasitic.  Copepods include animals like Daphnia, Bosmina, Cyclops, etc.
THey're filter feeding organisms which remove suspended algae, and in turn
become food for fish.

There are other types of copepods, beyond filter-feeders.  There are some that
eat other copepods.  And there are some that are parasites on the fish.  The
fact that you see yours on the back of the glass implies that they are
nonparasitic.  Parasites tend to hang towards the host -- you'll see them swim
off if they're moving form host to host, or if they're between lifestages, but
-- most of the time -- they're on the host.  You've seen several (I doubt it's
the same five more htan once! :) and they're always on or near the back glass,
where they're probably grazing on algae.  My guess is that like most of us, you
don't do a good job cleaning the back of the tank, and there's plenty of food
for them.  Or, they might be enjoying hte current from your power filter.  Or
they're shy.  Who knows.

I wouldn't worry about them.  if the fish start flicking and scratching
regularly, or you see lice on the fish -- worry.  Until then, be happy and enjoy
your little pets! :)

Quoting aquatic-plants-request at actwin_com: