[APD] Re: copepods

I'd say that 99.9% of the copepods we encounter are not going to be
parasitic.

I'm inclined to agree. Also, the stuff I've read indicates that the parasitic copepods are not free-living, so seeing any swimming about is probably unlikely. Copepods can potentially act as disease vectors, but unless one has the habit of drinking water copiously from the tank or snacks on the fishes without cooking them, there's no danger there.

As for Liz's critters, based on her description, I think she might have Diaptomus.

Here's the URL for a site with some excellent photos of various freshwater micro-crusties that might help in identification:

http://www.micrographia.com/specbiol/crustac/homeclad/clad0100.htm

In the Cyclops section, check out the last photo. How bad of an algae problem do you have to have to get it growing on cyclops, LOL?
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee