Re: [APD] Re: Nutrients, Water Changes, Etc.

--- "William M. Cwirla" <wcwirla at verizon_net> wrote:

> . . .
>
> 2.  I'm wondering about long-term build up of residual
> salts due to
> regular dosing of fertilizers.  Most of the nutrients we
> add are
> chloride or sulfate salts.  While the potassium,
> magnesium,  etc. are
> utilized by the plants, the counter ions are not (except
> in the case of
> KNO3 or KHCO3).  Presumably, there will be a long term
> build up of
> sulfate and chloride salts in the water column.  A 50%
> water change
> will not offset the additions.

Actually, they pretty much will. You end up taking an awful
lot out with the changes and the build up levels off toward
infinity. Larger changes would cause things to level off
sooner but 50% is probably the most that anyone needs.

However, I think if you do not do regular water changes, if
go for months on end doing nothing more than topping off
and adding some particular nutrients in a dirt tank, then a
few large water changes once in a cwhile can be a good
practice.

Scott H.