Re: [APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 17, Issue 4

That's fine for some folks. Unfortunately or fortunately,
most of those bulbs aren't readily available to most folks.

Probalby the main advantage of PCs and T5s is that you can
fit better than twice the output in the same space as a
single T12.

They will usually be listed in the 5000K, 6500K, 8,000K and
10,000K range as opposed to the Home Depot assortment of
"Kitchen", "Plant and Aquarium", warm white and cool white
bulbs.

With enough industry one can hunt down bulbs in a GE or
Osram catalogue (the European catalogues still tend to have
the better assortments) and then find a distributor that
will sell small lots or an electrical supply house that
will order the bulb(s) for you. Much easier to find a an
aquarium bulb vendor that's done that work and has a useful
assortment of quality bulbs.

Scott H.

-- "Richard J. Sexton" <richard at aquaria_net> wrote:

> If you look at the GE lighting catalogs you can get more
> and different
> tubes in T12 than T8 or any PC/CF. I *wish* they made
> PLAQ in T5/PC.
>
> Aquarium secialty manufactutors tend tomake more oddball
> PC/CF tubes
> than say the big three of GE/Philips/Osram.

=====
--- Christel Kassellman is returning to America! ---
The Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies will feature Christel, author of _Aquarium Plants_, among its speakers at its 30th Annual Convention. It's the longest running consecutive general tropical fish convention in the country and one of the most fun to attend.

March 18-20, 2005
Marriott Hotel, Farmington, CT