[APD] Re: substrate vs the water column

So, if the plants are indifferent to the location of nutrients, then why bother with any sort of fancy substrate at all? If it's just a plant holder then all the 'science' regarding substrates is bogus and we can go back to the turquoise coated gravel. ;-)

I'm in the process of replacing my leaking 60 gallon and I'm installing a DIY PVC UGF in that tank as well as the one I put in my 90. I like how clean it keeps the surface of the substrate, as well as mechanically cleaning the water. Since the 1-3mm blasting grit is just a plant holder, I guess I'm not worried about flow rates, aerobics, anaerobic reduction and all that. Kewl. Works for me.

TW