[APD] RE:1st Planted Tank questions

> Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:50:30 -0800
> From: "Liz Wilhite" <liz_wilhite at hotmail_com>
> Subject: [APD] 1st Planted Tank questions

> It seems that every leaf on every plant is melting away.  At the same
time
> there is strong new growth.  THe new growth tends overall to be brighter,
> redder, thinner and lacier with side shoots.  The crypts are melting but
> putting out lots of new leaves that seem healthy. I've been interpreting
> this as leaves from emerged growth dying.  Oddly, a red lotus and Apon.
> crispus haven't lost a leaf while putting out several new leaves this
week
> (most plants have been in the tank a week).
> Any thoughts on what is going on?  How dumb was it to put plants in this
> early?
> Liz

I hope you did not add NH3 and do the fishless cycling.
Since you already did(you have a NO2 reading without any fish+ some
plants), Remove all the algae you can, do a prune(remove old dead infected
leaves), do a large, 80% water change and then another a day later.
That should remove everything.
The plants need nutrients as well, not just Nitrogen, you will need add
some nutrients for them to grow well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

subscribe at BarrReport_com   Get connected
www.BarrReport.com            Get information