RE: [APD] Re: 1st Planted Tank questions

"It seems that every leaf on every plant is melting away."

I'll bet. What's the temperature?

25.8 - 26C

Cut the lights to something closer to 110W. Once the tank is stable, maybe go up to 150W.

Cut it to 130 this afternoon

"I may have done something really stupid -- I have plants in there. That means I am running lights and CO2 and have discovered algae."

Plants will thrive in the cycling if all other needs are met, but the algae will really thrive under the lights you have especially if CO2 is anywhere near minimal. Pressurized tank or DIY yeast?

Pressurized, pH meter 7.2, CO2 around 15

Dose ferts to get to this:

http://www.sfbaaps.com/reference/barr_02_02.shtml

It should need ferts at 1 week given macros from cycling and the new substrate?

These two test kits will get you on the right track:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/F73%2cMAN1044/Class/Fish+Supplies+Aquarim+Pharmaceuticals+Test+Kits/T1/F73+1044+0229/EDP/17020/Itemdy00.aspx

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/F73%2cMAN1044/Class/Fish+Supplies+Aquarim+Pharmaceuticals+Test+Kits/T1/F73+1044+0402/EDP/43949/Itemdy00.aspx

Plus a pH and KH test kit.

Don't have P04 kit, KH = 8.4, nitrate = 15 (5 from tap), nitrite = 5, ammonia = 1, GH = 6.2. Am aware these are high but are they high for a tank that is in a reasonably early stage of cycling?

Jeez Scott, surprised you missed this one. ;-)

TW