[APD] Re: Algae spores

Richard,

True enough about the algae in question.  After I sent the message I was wondering if I should have bothered since your post was directed towards green algae and what I was responding to was almost everything but green algae!

As for red algae, I don't think it is any more of a mix of plants and bacteria than green algae and land plants are.  I assume you are refering to their chloroplasts being derived from a symbiosis of the algae and cyanobacteria.  But that theory holds for green plants too (and even brown algae).  Actually just about every Eukaryote, including us, has that sort of mix since mitochondria are also believed to be derived from bacteria that struck up a symbiotic relationship with its host.  If you are thinking of some other feature of red algae please let me know because I am forgetting it or ignorant of it.

Yes, there is a limit to how dry spanish moss can get, but not many things can get as dry as them (internally I mean, cacti don't count!) and still spring back to life.  The cellular physiology of plants like resurrection fern and a Selaginella that does the same thing are pretty fascinating actually, but I digress.  Bacteria are the all time champions though (surviving outside in outer space and coming back to life after 300 million years in amber is hard to beat!).

-Kyle