[APD] More CO2 Questions

Thanks for all the response.

I have a couple more questions.

In all my time spent in the great outdoors I've never seen any C02 dosing stations. Why is it that we feel that we have to dose CO2 in the home aquarium? Surely substrates in nature can become depleted just like our own. Is it that we just like to see plants growing faster? Is it that we constantly remove plant matter from the aquarium?

Second, for those that wondered,

The "Lazy Ass" Method defined is:
Substrate: Cheap potting soil covered by Home Depot play sand.
Shop Lighting 1W/gallon
Aquaclear filter.
Huge prune once a month,
Replenish fish feeder once a month
Top up water once a month
scrape algae once a month.

In total, I probably spend about 15 minutes a month per tank.

Ups: Low maintenance, fish seem to like it, plants grow reasonably well.
Downs: algae has to be addressed, periodically I have to dose specific nutrients to compensate for any visible plant ailments, mulm builds up on the bottom, but it's covered by plants and stays out of the water column.

I'm aware that I'm breaking many rules, but I'm not killing fish, and the tanks look good. So while I agree that the "Barr Method" is pretty simple, it can be more time consuming than my current regime.

I like the idea about dosing the ferts, and the comments about the trimmer valves helped answer a question I hadn't quite formulated in my mind.

Thanks again,

Spencer