Re: [APD] Rubber baseboard in tank

FWIW, many of my runner plants - hairgrass, E. ten, glosso - seem to go up and over things without aany problem. But it is an interesting ideas.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kevin Sheller<mailto:kevmo at aplants_com>
  To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com<mailto:aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
  Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 3:15 PM
  Subject: [APD] Rubber baseboard in tank

  Weird idea.

  I've been trying to think of some sort of flexible material to place in the
  substrate upon initial setup of a new tank designed to act as a corral or
  BLOCKER for runner plants. If I can create a dynamic "great wall of china"
  shape in the substrate, I should be able to keep the runners from going
  where I don't want them and disrupting the rest of my setup.

  One idea is to use that rubber baseboard stuff you can buy at Home Depot. I
  looked at it today and noticed it was all colored somehow. So I have two
  questions:

  1. Would it deteriorate over time?
  2. Would it contaminate the water in some way, making it dangerous for the
  fish?

  Anyone have any ideas on this? Perhaps something already exists to handle
  this problem and I've just never found it in my searches. Hmf.

  Kevmo