From: Wright Huntley [mailto:whuntley at verizon_net]
Sent: 09 December 2004 19:05
To: Aquatic Plants Digest
Subject: Re: [APD] K+ Deficiency Symptoms - Scott?

> Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 08:28:07 -0800 (PST)
> From: "S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com>
> Subject: Re: [APD] K+ Deficiency Symptoms - Scott?
>
> Also, worth noting, Ghazanfar Ghori at one time recommended
> K levels around 10 ppm. I don't know if he still does but
> that's the vote of one other gardener.
>
> sh

The issue could be less one of absolute amount than of balance. The
basic (called "essential" by the medical types) electrolytes that
dominate all cell activity are sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium
ions. They use each other and are required to be within certain ranges
to sustain life and proper allow cell transport.

Folks who overdo RO or rainwater find their plants and animals are
poisoned by salt. The same exact amounts have no adverse effects if a
proper mineral balance is present by adding some hard tap water or
something like Seachem's "Equilibrium." As pointed out earlier, a Ca
shortage can be seen to improve as other electrolytes are added, but the
real solution is to get more Ca in there, and get a *balance* of
essential electrolytes.

I discovered this when I moved from Fremont to Modesto. I took some Java
moss that had survived nicely in a brackish *Pantanodon stuhlmanni* tank
at a SG of around 1.015 (sea water being about 1.025). The Modesto
water, at a tds of about 30-50 ppm contained almost no essential
electrolytes (only a trace of sodium) and no carbonates (Sierra snow
runoff across only granite). [Fremont had a nice balance and 300 ppm tds
with 200 ppm as "hardness."] I practically killed most of my plants and
nearly killed all my killies by adding a little sodium chloride to raise
tds to a more comfortable level for osmotic pressure purposes -- about
90-100 ppm. That is a really tiny amount of salt! Browning plants and
sick fish were soon obvious.

As soon as I switched to "Equilibrium," plants and fish perked right up
and I had lush green Java moss in just a couple of weeks. Lesson
learned: *All* the 4 electrolytes need to be there in modest amounts. OD
on one can cause a deficiency of another. Absence of one can cause
toxicity, fast.

Just my US$0.02. YMMV.

Wright

--
Wright Huntley - Rt. 001 Box K36, Bishop CA 93514 - whuntley at verizon_net
                       760 872-3995

  "France has neither winter, nor summer, nor morals. France is
miserable because it is filled with Frenchmen, and Frenchmen are
miserable because they live in France." --Mark Twain

                http://www.libertarianism.com/