Re: [APD] Funny Subject Lines

It's not that I don't sympathize with your complaint; but I
think it's more productive to resign to it than try to
fight it. Why?

Threading in the archives is more difficult than changed
subject-lines : Lots of replies merely quote the message ID
so it's very hard to reliably trace a thread by title. And
then when searching, you get multiple occurrences of some
entries in one set of results -- I don't know why that
happens but I'm sure there's a good reason for it.

Also, subjects tend to drift and tracing by title or trying
to thread only by conversation instead by subject matter
is, imo, risky business -- The recent PC topic is relevent
to at least 3 or 4 diff subject threads that I can think of
off the top of my head -- the more imginative can
undoubtedly think of more.

I think keyword searching and a modicum of diligience are
necessary when one tromps through the archive -- most
archives, not just APD. Just yesterday I was trying to find
a particular old message and could serach it down to save
my life. But I accidentally ran across searching for
something that was, for my purposes, a somewhat diff topic.

Anyway, I've never found a computer program's notion of a
thread to be very satisfactory -- well, I guess that means
they don't much match my own notion of threads.

maybe I've hit rockbottom ;-)
sh

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.200412/msg00199.html

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.200412/msg00181.html

> I think the mail program is threading based on the first
> xxx characters,
> so some changes seem to be okay, as the archives seems to
> truncate the
> subject lines after a point... which means more
> importantly that the
> extra info added to the subject line isn't being indexed
> by the software
> anyway, so adding it to help with future searches is
> probably not working.
>
> Cheers,
> Jeff

=====
--- Christel Kassellman is returning to America! ---
The Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies will feature Christel, author of _Aquarium Plants_, among its speakers at its 30th Annual Convention. It's the longest running consecutive general tropical fish convention in the country and one of the most fun to attend.

March 18-20, 2005
Marriott Hotel, Farmington, CT