[APD] Re: Power Compacts -- glass covers and noisy fans

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 09:12:01 -0800
From: "William M. Cwirla" <wcwirla at verizon_net>
Subject: [APD] Re: Power Compacts
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com

I've posted this question on a couple of forums, but the APD always my
first place to go.

Quick question:  Is a cover glass necessary with power compacts?  I
don't use one with ordinary fluorescents.

Thanks,
WMC

I found it was necessary to add glass covers not for the power compacts but for the fans included in my hood.

My PSL Solar Hood had a plastic cover over the lights and seemed to be OK to just sit over the tank, protected from fish splashes. Moisture collected in the fan bearings overnight and at start up both of the fans chattered. As the day went on the input side would get quiet but not the exhaust side. I was afraid they would fail prematurely. I added glass tops and it is all quiet now.

Ann V