Re: [APD] RE: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 16, Issue 13

Thomas Barr wrote:
Aldrovanda vesiculosa is not supposed to like hard water. Utricularia spp. are supposed to take a little Ca, but not like really hard water. I have only grown Aldrovanda in very soft water (10-30 ppm KH, 0 GH) and Utricularia in water with very little Ca. Next year I may try an experiment with giving them more Ca. As long as all other conditions are ideal I expect that both Aldrovanda and Utricularia will be able to handle a little more Ca.
As for typical aquatic plants I have found that those native to soft water can grow in the "liquid rock" that come out of my tap. Although, they may well show an initial setback due to the initial change in conditions.

Later,
Bill

I've grow both genera in very hardwater, not a problem.
CO2, good NO3 etc.
The CP people love it when I send them some.
The terrestrial species are not so similar though in their needs.

Regards, Tom Barr

I know that most terrestrial CP species do not handle Ca well, it acts like a slow poision for them, so I have been reluctant to give my aquatic CPs very much Ca.

Later,
Bill