Re: [APD] Are there any plants that absolutely cannot grow in hardwater?

Richard J. Sexton wrote:
At 07:58 AM 12/6/2004 -0500, you wrote:

Richard J. Sexton wrote:

See subject line.

Aldrovanda vesiculosa is not supposed to like hard water. Utricularia spp. are supposed to take a little Ca, but not like really hard water. I have only grown Aldrovanda in very soft water (10-30 ppm KH, 0 GH) and Utricularia in water with very little Ca. Next year I may try an experiment with giving them more Ca. As long as all other conditions are ideal I expect that both Aldrovanda and Utricularia will be able to handle a little more Ca.
As for typical aquatic plants I have found that those native to soft water can grow in the "liquid rock" that come out of my tap. Although, they may well show an initial setback due to the initial change in conditions.

I've had Utricularia here over the years.

The only thing I've had an issue with is riccia. Anbody grow that
in very hard water?

To add insult to injury I found some Riccia in the river out back but it
fell apart when the tank went above 68. Must be the, uh, northern variety.

I've grown ricca floating in very hard water with no problem as long as there is at least medium light.

Later,
Bill