Re: [APD] Re: RO/DI setup vs. CO2 setup

CO2 works great. Ought to work fine with the alkalinity
(carbonate hardness) you have.

sh
--- Bryan Koen <bryan at koen_net> wrote:

> The numbers are from the tank.
>
> The discus buffer has been used only once to bring the pH
> down to 6.8-7.0.
>
> What products are recommended to keep the pH down?
>
> Thanks,
>   Bryan
>
> Tom Wood wrote:
>
> > "I have just purchased a new test kit and now have
> numbers that are on
> > the scale at least.
> >
> > Alkalinity around 80 ppm
> > Total hardness around 120 ppm."
> >
> > Those numbers don't seem so high. Read this:
> > http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/khgh.html
> >
> > A quoted section:
> >
> > "Water hardness follows these guidelines:
> >
> > 0 -  4 dH,    0 -   70 ppm : very soft
> > 4 -  8 dH,   70 -  140 ppm : soft
> > 8 - 12 dH,  140 -  210 ppm : medium hard
> > 12 - 18 dH,  210 -  320 ppm : fairly hard
> > 18 - 30 dH,  320 -  530 ppm : hard
> > higher : liquid rock (Lake Malawi and Los Angeles, CA)"
> >
> > "What is the primary concern with phospates? Is it just
> because algae
> > really enjoy them. I have several cory cats and sharks
> to do the
> > cleanup of the algae."
> >
> > Yeah, algae can get going faster than the cleanup crew
> can help. When
> > I used Discus Buffer way back when, Black Brush Algae
> (BBA) ran
> > rampant. Dunno how long your tank has been set up, but
> I wouldn't do
> > it that way.
> >
> > You may also want to read through this:
> > http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/alkalinity.html since
> a high amount
> > of PO4 can mess with the alkalinity reading. Are those
> numbers above
> > from the tank or from the tap?
> >
> > TW

=====
--- Christel Kassellman is returning to America! ---
The Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies will feature Christel, author of _Aquarium Plants_, among its speakers at its 30th Annual Convention. It's the longest running consecutive general tropical fish convention in the country and one of the most fun to attend.

March 18-20, 2005
Marriott Hotel, Farmington, CT