[APD] Re: Chelators

>> Sounds much more like some other problem than poor iron, Mg could have
>> been the issue.GH could have changed in the tap etc, I've never associated
>> a low Trace iron level with BGA. I've had RFUG's for 10 years with plants.

>Hmmm, the tank is filled with well water that has very low KH and GH, so it
>is supplemented with pulverised dolomite. Annual water tests done by the
>local health department show no change in GH, and neither do my more frequent,
>but more crude, home tests.

Annual test? Hehe..........
Generally the home test are okay for GH though.....

>> I've had RFUG's for 10 years with plants.

>Were you using Fe-gluconate or Fe-EDTA?

I've used both and DTPH(Tropica)
Some very subtle differences and mainly Cu I believe rather than Fe chelator.

>>> Would Fe-gluconate be oxidized morerapidly than Fe-EDTA in the
>>> oxygen/bacteria-rich substrate of an undergravel filter?

>>I would not think it would matter as far as the plants are concerned.

>Well, then I'm baffled.  The only change I have made was to switch the
>Fluorish with Fe-EDTA (whatever brand is cheapest at the time).

Any particular species of plant that was effected and some that were not?
What type of substrate also?

>I've
>continued dosing with KNO3, Flourish phosphorus, and Flourish Trace.
>I initially switched to a product that has Fe and K, but not Mg, so I
>don't think I can attribute the problems to Mg deficiency.  The improvement
>was so rapid that I am convinced of the causal link.  I just don't know WHY.

If it was rapid, then this sort of says that it was not traces, but rather something else.
Traces take a while to show up in plant health, I give them 3 weeks vs one week for macros before deciding.
You can see PO4 differences in less than hour if there is strong limitation.

>Oh well, the tank looks pretty good now, so I guess I won't worry
>about it.

>Nick

Well, if you are happy, stick with it.
See if they are, then decide.