[APD] re: Ca gluconate

I asked this question once but didn't get much of a response, but since gluconate has come up again, I thought it was worth asking again....

I observed extreme chlorosis and poor plant growth in a tank that has an UG filter, despite the application of increasing quantities of Flourish.  The poor plant growth was accompanied by frequent blooms of BGA and a filamentous green alga.  Switching to a product containing Fe-EDTA cleared up the problem:  the chlorosis vanished, plants grew rapidly, and the algae went away.  I assume the algae was secondary to the poor plant growth, but is it possible that the root of the problem was related to the UG filter?  Would Fe-gluconate be oxidized more rapidly than Fe-EDTA in the oxygen/bacteria-rich substrate of an undergravel filter?

Nick
--
Nicholas Plummer
nickplummer at nc_rr.com