[APD] Lobelia cardinalis

I acquired three Lobelia cardinalis over the Thanksgiving weekend. Planted two in my renewed 10 gallon desk tank. Planted the third in my 30 gallon classroom tank. The two in the 10 gallon seem to be doing fine, lots of pearling, evidence of new root formation, etc. The one in the 30 gal looked good as of yesterday, except that I noticed I had a bunch of snails congregating at the crown of the plant just above the gravel line. This morning I had 8 floating leaves, no base and no roots. Has anyone else had the same experience with snails munching Lobelia root? Not a cheap salad!

Bill