Re: [APD] RE Actinics and other things to darken (or lighten) your life

Doubt everybody said it wouldn't work. More likely, they
said it wasn't a good choice, which it probably wasn't.

But note that Tom's posted a number of times about how
adaptive and nonfussy plants are about spectrum.

The biggest problem wtih actinics is the lack of output,
unless you'ave got too much light already, then swapping to
an actining can help things seem to clean up. ;-)

have fun,
sh
--- "Richard J. Sexton" <richard at aquaria_net> wrote:

> At 09:52 AM 11/29/2004 -0800, you wrote:
> >Use actinic bulbs for plants:
> >
> >Consider this post:
> >

>http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.200402/msg00271.html
>
> I've always wonderd whether HPS and actinic would be a
> good combo. Small
> (70W) HPS lights here are dist cheap as security lights
> and put out
> about a lot of lumens, but primarily in the red.
>
> Anybody else remember back in about 87 or so some guy on
> usenet
> was gonna try a mercury vapour lamp and EVRYBODY told him
> it
> wouldn't work, no red, wrong specrtum etc?
>
> It worked amazingly well for him.

=====
--- Christel Kassellman is returning to America! ---
The Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies will feature Christel, author of _Aquarium Plants_, among its speakers at its 30th Annual Convention. It's the longest running consecutive general tropical fish convention in the country and one of the most fun to attend.

March 18-20, 2005
Marriott Hotel, Farmington, CT