Re: [APD] Bamboo shrimp requirements (Bill Wells)

Richard J. Sexton wrote:
At 08:32 AM 11/24/2004 -0800, you wrote:

bill and others,

have you had success with these long term? i've kept
a couple of these for a while, and they seemed to be
doing really well, going through several moltings. then suddenly they just up and died, first one and
then the other a couple of weeks later. in my
experience they do not seem to be very hardy.

Ever see a small bamboo shrimp? Me either.

How old are these things when we get them?

I don't know the normal life span, of the bamboo shrimp. I think the "Ghost" shrimps have a life span under 3 years so I wouldn't expect the bamboo shrimp to have a very long life span. I have had mine a year and a half and it was a large size when I got it so it is probably an "old man" by now. They can be very sensitive to copper in the water so if the copper levels in your water supply changed (something that is not unusual in some parts of the USA) that is one possible reason for their deaths.

Later,
Bill Wells