[APD] Soil Substrates

Hi there,
A question about soil substrates.  I've got a basic loam and a bag of
earthworm castings (for organic material).  I've seen a number of references
to adding vermiculite.  I'm wondering if the vermiculite is necessary, or is
just a basic loam+castings mix sufficient.  Diana Walstad talks about using
regular potting soil or garden soil, which is a mix of a bunch of stuff, but
the garden shop people suggested I not always trust premixes to not be
tainted with unwanted chemicals, etc.  Also, what ratio of loam to org.
matter should there be?

Could anyone lend some advice regarding this?

Thanks...again!
B.