[APD] Driftwood rotting, causing problems?

Hello,

In mid-September, I purchased two large centerpieces from aquariumdriftwood for my 55g aquarium. By mid-October, the driftwood began to emit a sulfurous stench from the water and several parts of both pieces (especially those in contact with the substrate) are becoming soft to the touch. Another disturbing fact is that this aquarium has failed to 'take off' so to speak, with many of the Cryptocorynes (balansae, wendtii 'green', affinis, wendtii 'Mi Oya') showing slower than normal growth. The epiphytic narrow leaf java ferns and Bolbitis lying on on the wood are doing even worse.

I have 2wpg power compact lighting, pH controller from Milwaukee, and have a hefty bioload in this aquarium consisting of Peruvian scalare, a breeding pair of pearl gouramis, school of panda cories, a wood shrimp, and a trio of blue rams (it was supposed to be a pretty permanent planted aquarium). I'm only dosing Flourish, Flourish Iron, and K+ since experience dictates that at this lighting level, the plants should not need any extra N or P to grow well with such a bioload.

As a whole, the aquarium is getting dirty very rapidly with the canister filter needing maintenance every couple of weeks. This was not happening before.

Is the driftwood behind causing these symptoms in my aquarium? If so, is it the responsibility of the seller to replace or refund such pieces?

Sincerely,

Carlos