[APD] Re: N#5 and GW

>Hi All.

>Ok. Implementing my new (mis)understanding of causes of green water.
>I added yesterday nitrogen to a water column in my tank in form of Seachem
>Flourish-Nitrogen. I added about 0.4 ml. and as expected got my water much
>greener today. It is expected because prior to adding nitrogen supplement
>water was already somewhat green and was blocking lights to the plants.

Not blocking that much light really

>Thus, because of insufficient photosynthesis plants were unable to
>consume added NO3 and in doing so increase their uptake NH3/4 while algae
>took NO3 and produced more spores which bloomed in the presence of ammonia.
>And so it all went like a snowball. Basically light became limiting factor for
>the plants. Am I right in this explanation?

No, it has nothing to do with insufficent PS.
The algae/GW is there, adding NO3 etc will help growth of both algae and plants.
As expected. But you cannot get rid of the algae with nutrient management once it's bloomed.

I state that at the beginning.
TYreh algae have the reserves built up now and can make it through most any type of environment, even outlasting  the plants if you did lots of water changes and added nothing to the tank.

You need to kill or otherwise remove the algae that's there, then after add nutrients.
If you do not follow that advice, you will keep having algae.

If you run a UV, you can add the nutrient and turn the UV on at the same time etc.

>As far as I understand, first I have to get rid of green water and then
>add supplements.

Yes.

So, what are my options here? I do not have diatom filter
>and not sure I want to spend any money for it. I want to try completely
>blocking light for several days. How long should I block light? I don't want
>to hurt higher plants.

That will not occur till about 5 days or so.
But I think the GW will come back using DIY CO2 and 5w/gal.

> If that is the way I will go then perhaps I should put
>fish in some other container.
>Dmitri Priimak

Won't matter, they will be fine in the tank.

Regards,
Tom Barr