[APD] Re: CO2 tanks and teflon tape

On Monday, Nov 1, 2004, at 18:23 US/Central, aquatic-plants-request at actwin_com wrote:

You should normally not use teflon pipe tape on gas fittings (the same goes
for natural gas lines if you ever work on those). There is a yellow teflon
tape for gas lines that you could use, but it probably isn't necassary. For
gas lines you normally use a pipe thread compound that is goo-in-a-can.

Why shouldn't I be using teflon tape? Does it just not help, or does it actively impair the seal?

(This is a very timely question since I just emptied my big tank and need a refill....)

Diane Brown in St. Louis
http://www.well.com/user/debunix/fish/fishIndex.html