Re: [APD] Re: BGA Control - Blackout vs. Antiobiotics.

Or you could use more plants.

And some of us gardeners, we are prone to green arguments
;-)

Scott H.
--- Bill D <billinet at comcast_net> wrote:

> I agree that the BGA outbreaks that I mentioned is caused
> by an imbalance
> between the nutrients being released from the substrate
> and the minimal
> needs of a newly planted aquarium.
>
> However, in my experience (which might not be typical),
> if left untreated
> the BGA will spread and smother the plants before they
> grow enough to
> consume the excess nutrients.  A blackout and water
> change will get rid of
> the BGA, but the nutrients will continue to be released
> before the plants
> grow, so the cycle will repeat.
>
> Using the antibiotic gives the plants a chance to get
> started and combat the
> BGA naturally.
>
> As I said, there is little or no evidence that
> antibiotic-resistant bacteria
> have resulted from aquarium treatments.
> And if one day one did, it probably wouldn't have any
> impact on anything,
> based on the experience that we have had with the many
> kinds of resistant
> bacteria that we harbor.
>
> So I guess it is mainly a "Green" argument.that favors
> the blackout
> approach.

=====
Still some time to get the $59 registration rate -- it must increase as of October 28th to $79.

Still some nights available at the 65% discount hotel rate.

The Annual AGA Convention, 2004, November 12-14.
aquatic-gardeners.org & gwapa.org