RE: [APD] Re: 5gal blackout tank

I just refreshed my DIY CO2 bottle yesterday.  Should I add fertilizers
today or wait for some of the algae to die off.  Or would adding the
fertilizers help the plants beat off the algae?
Thanks.

"Hi,
  I let my little 5 gallon planted tank at work go to heck.  Now it is
covered in various type of algae - long thread like algae, staghorn, a
little BBA.  I was going to do a water change on it, remove as much algae as
possible, and then give it a black out. How many days do I need to do the
black out for?  I know after the black out I should do another water change
and resume C02 and fertilizers.

Thanks!
Sherry"

Sherry, Blackout is not effective (nor EM) on anything other than BGA.
You need to clean the tank good, remove all you can, add more CO2, not
disturb things so much.
Small tanks require more attention or else go with non CO2 methods. Blackout
may beat some species back some, but it's not that effective IMO for these.

Regards,
Tom Barr

recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying
to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.

"Secure Server" made the following
 annotations on 10/22/2004 02:56:17 PM
------------------------------"This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately."