[APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 14, Issue 19

----- Original Message ----- From: <aquatic-plants-request at actwin_com>
To: <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 8:06 PM
Subject: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 14, Issue 19

Message: 5
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:31:21 -0700
From: John Van Rees <revjohn at spiritone_com>
Subject: [APD] ferts on a new tank
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com

Tom,

I will step up here and wait your reply :-) The reason I would see it...
would be the same as terrestrial plants and more like your lawn grass. If
you water and feed your lawn grass too often, too much, there is no need
for them to develop strong root systems... if they have to go hunt for
water and food they will out of necessity and survival produce a better
root system. If you would keep the ferts out of the new tank for a while...
it would translate to me that the result would be the same. If the ferts
were in the water column the plants would have no need to produce a nice
healthy root system.

Make sense?

John Van Rees

The problem with lawns, is that too frequent watering means the grass does not develop deep roots. With shallow roots, a couple of days without water, the soil dries out and the grass looks sad. Less often deep watering means that the grass is forced to develop deeper roots to reach the water and consequently can survive dry spells better.

In an aquarium that isn't the case, however the bigger the plant the larger the root system that will be needed to supply enough nutrients. A transplanted aquatic plant has a damaged root system and will need nutrients to repair the damage and support the foliage.

I agree with Tom, starving the plant doesn't make sense, anymore that transplanting a terrestrial plant and not fertilizing it or giving it enough water. Typically you trim the terrestrial plant to compensate for the reduced amount of roots....other wise the plant doesn't get enough nutrients (and water) and wilts. Why treat the aquatic plants any differently where fertilizer is concerned.

Bob