[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[APD] Brush Algae

The following was taken from George Booth's article on algae, posted at: http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/algae.htm

"Brush algae

"This grows in feathery black tufts 2-3 mm long and tends to collect on slower growing leaves like Anubias, some Echinodorus and other wide leaf plants. Also tends to collect on mechanical equipment. This is actually a red alga in the genus Audouinella (other names: Acrochaetium, Rhodochorton, Chantransia). It cannot easily be removed mechanically. Remove and discard the affected leaves. Equipment can be soaked in a 25% bleach solution, then scrubbed to remove the dead algae. Siamese Algae Eaters (Crossocheilus siamensis) are known to eat this algae and can keep it in check. A more drastic measure is treatment with copper."

Now, my question: I've recently "acquired" some brush algae in two tanks; in each case it's growing on the Ebo-Jager heater. If I opt to soak the heaters in the 25% bleach solution, will that in any way harm the heater? I ask because it's growing at the top, really close to the control mechanism. Also, how long would they have to soak? I have a spare E-J 25W heater I could use in the 10G afflicted with this pest, but the other is a 50W in a 15T tank and I don't have a spare 50W.

Growing old is inevitable; 
growing up is optional.

Aquatic-Plants mailing list
Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com