[APD] treating change water

Anna wrote:
> I usually end up changing 25%-50% of my 25gal tank every few
> weeks and I'm concerned if I don't then the pH shift will shock my
> fish.

pH shift does not hurt fish. Variation in dissolved minerals is what
causes osmotic shock. Your tap water is fine just right out of the tap
because it has plenty of Ca and Mg in it. If you change water regularly,
you won't have a problem with a 50% water change. This puts a lot of
cold water in the tank however this is also not a serious problem for
the fish. If you have a lot of fresh peat in the tank, you might want to
change water weekly since your water will be yellow and probably low in
minerals until the peat CEC is saturated with Ca & Mg.

Steve