Re: [APD] Re: Minimum Light Threshold

IF we're gong to get this far into it, then we might a well
eschew lux since the variations in lux from bulb are not
covariant with how well they make plants frow. AT least
Ivo's work certainly indicates that. Plants can use a wide
range of frequencies and humans are sensitve to a narrow
range, centering around the area of he spectrum that is
least usefu for plants. Watts might actually be a better
measure than lux.

However, PAR reach the plants -- that would be better and
if one could assess the diffs between large and small tanks
for a given bulb, using lux, then one could generalize to
irradiation diffs between and large and small tanks for
lgiht at all wavelengths.

Of course, at some point, we will want to shine one of
htese lights into a white buck of clear water and decide on
the color ;-)

Scott H.

http://occawlonline.pearsoned.com/bookbind/pubbooks/thomas_awl/chapter1/medialib/custom3/topics/combin.htm

> "Tipping point theory" might also describe this lighting
> phenomenon <g>.
>
> Would the lux at the bottom of the 9 watt, 1 gallon tank
> would be a lot less
> than that in a 40 watt, 20 gallon tank? If so, wouldn't
> that account for the
> difference in plant growth?.  Lux is a direct measure of
> light energy
> availability, unlike watts, which is at best an analog of
> that.  (Yes, by
> now I know all of the practical arguments that favor
> watts per gallon over
> lux, but if we talked in terms of lux, or "standard lux",
> we would be able
> to focus on the important thing, available light energy,
> and not on the less
> direct and inaccurate metric, watts.)
>
> Bill

=====
Still some time left to get the 65% discount hotel rate.

The Annual AGA Convention, 2004, November 12-14.
aquatic-gardeners.org & gwapa.org

Speakers, 3 Focus Groups in two sessions each, plus Field Trip, Banquet, auctions of equipment and plants from some of the best companies, gardeners & nurseries in the hobby.