Re: [APD] two unidentified plants

Hard to tell from the pics but the second could pass for
Echinodorus Augustifolius or E. tennellus. The former is
an easy to grow plant that spreads by runners and does so
quickly with moderate to high light and a rich substrate or
nutrient rich water. The latter is more likely to be found
in lfss and has delicate roots and is a bit more difficult
to grow.

Have to pass on the first, but it looks like immersed
growth. Plants are grown immersed (ony the base in water)
in the nurseries which avoids algae and speeds growth
because the amount of CO2 available in the atmosphere is
much higher than in water. The submerged growth should come
out with shorter stems and longer leaves. The immersed
grown leaves will eventually be shed as new leaves grow out
from the center. Once the leaves are  yellowed, you might
as well prune them by gentling prying them back at the base
and pulling away from the base.

The leaves are missing the longitudinal "ribs" that would
identify one of the more common Echinodorus (sword) species
from lfss. So one of the Cryptocorynes is a good guess. In
which case, it will benefit from a rich substrate and might
take some time before it really takes hold.

sh

http://hisbodylife.com/ipw-web/gallery/album08/small_plant

> You can see my harlequin rasboras out of focus in the
> background here
> :) and also a corner of my bronze wendtii I think.
>

> Anyway I would like to do the best I can for these plants
> but first I
> have to know what they are.  I've been doing some
> research but been
> having a very hard time finding any websites with clear
> identification
> characteristics for plants :/
>
> Thanks for any help you guys can give.
>
> ~Anna

=====
Plant your feet in Washington, D.C. and touch the moon -- at the National Air & Space Museum.
And learn the art of aquascaping Senske style at AGA2K4.

Speakers, field trip, Ray "Kingfish" Lucas, and more. . .
The Annual AGA Convention, 2004, November 12-14.

Convention Details/Registration at aquatic-gardeners.org & gwapa.org