[APD] Re: Avoiding fleas

> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:01:03 -0500
> From: "Ann Viverette" <annv777 at houston_rr.com>
> Subject: [APD] Re: Avoiding Fleas -- banning the bomb
> To: <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> There are flea killing formulas that contain flea birth control and can be
> mixed in a sprayer or is premixed in a spray can.

If you use OTC flea-control products on your cat(s), be VERY CAREFUL which
ones you choose.  Some contain types of organophosphate insecticides, such
as phenothrin, which are suggested to cause seizures in some cats.  You're
better off with the (more effective) prescription topicals such as
Frontline or Revolution.  Both contain a neurotoxin that only affects the
adult flea (has no affect on the cat).  As existing eggs hatch and bite,
they too will die.  As for bathing, don't bother with the dips and special
flea shampoos.  I've spent years in cat rescue and working with vets, and
for sick kitties or kittens too young for flea topicals we just bathe them
with Pert Plus.  Works just as well as the flea shampoos, plus smells
*much* better.

Laura