[APD] Platies in a Planted Tank

In the ongoing quest for lower maintenance yet higher aesthetics in a planted tank, I tried a flock of colorful Platies. Reading that they prefer "slightly alkaline" I backed off on the CO2 until it was "slightly" above seven. Something's still wrong. While there have been a few spontaneous spawnings, very cute, there have also been a few spontaneous deaths, very tragic. Either these fish have been bred into colorful idiocy, or I'm just not the aquarist I imagined. All tank parameters within normal limits.

Anyone else have luck with these fish in a high-tech planted tank? Any parameter in particular that seems to affect them more?

Thanks,

TW