[APD] New tank ph drop

I set up a new tank using the Tom Barr mulm, peat, flourite method and when I did a ph test noticed that it had dropped off the scale.  While my tap water ph is normally around 8 or above I can only assume this happened because of the peat.  Will the ph come back up after a few water changes and the floating or suspended debris is removed?

Also, is a CO2 reading using the ph/KH method accurate in this instance with the peat affecting the ph?  Thanks!

Kristian Anderson