Re: [APD] Re: Pressurized CO2 Equipment

--- Dave Millman <dave at tactics_com> wrote:

>> My advice would be:
>          * Be sure you are able to transport a 20lb
> cylinder-
>            they are big & heavy. 10 lb is a good
> compromise.
>            Also, the cylinder must be kept vertical when
> in
>            use-no compromise is possible here.

Sound advice. Note also that aluminum tanks are much
lighter than steel.

>          * A two gauge regulator with a needle valve and
>            bubble counter is what you want. A needle
> valve
>            can be added if you get it from beer brewing
>            channels instead of aquarium sources. Some
>            way to count bubbles is virtually mandatory.

I beg to differ. It's probably the least necessary part of
the CO2 system. It only provides an erstatz value for the
CO2 in the water which is what one really wants to contorl.
Much better method is to use a pH and a KH test kits and
the pH/KH/CO2 table.

>          * To diffuse the CO2 into the water, most of us
>            either inject the CO2 into a canister filter
> intake,
>            or use a homemade or commercial CO2 reactor.
>            Search Google on"CO2 reactor", or look
>            here for a good commercial reactor:
>            http://www.plantguild.com/html/co2.html
>
>          * A regulator is probably unnecessary. It is a
>            fairly simple matter to adjust your bubble
> rate
>            to ensure a stable pH, which means stable
>            CO2 level.

But it won't tell you what you really ant to know, i.e. the
amount of CO2 in the water. for that, see comment above.
Perhaps by "regulator" here you mean pH controller and
solenoid? I would agree that a pH controller and solenoid
are luxuries and nto at all necesary. The pH will be pretty
much as stable without a controller as with one.

> Some people really dig knowing
>            that their pH never varies by more than a
>            tenth point up or down. The cost is about
>            $100-150 extra for this knowledge, plus
>            occasional calibrations and probe replacement.

=====
Plant your feet in Washington, D.C. and touch the moon -- at the National Air & Space Museum.
And learn the art of aquascaping Senske style at AGA2K4.

Speakers, field trip, Ray "Kingfish" Lucas, and more. . .
The Annual AGA Convention, 2004, November 12-14.

Convention Details/Registration at aquatic-gardeners.org & gwapa.org