Re: [APD] Is the W/G figure valid for a 10 gallon tank?

Yes, I haven't measured but I suspect this would would
probably yield the equivalent aquarium illumination of an
AHS 2x13 watt kit with a stock hood white plastic
reflector. The heat would be higher and the internal
ballasts mean that all the heat is focused in a small area
but screw-in cfls are a quick and dirty way to go.

Some screw-in cfls will melt plastic hoods over time, but
that depends on a variety of factors, not just bulb type.

Unless you have a scew-in type hood on hand; I think the
AHS route, 2x13 or 1x36 would be about as easy.

2 cents and change back,
Scott H.

--- Craig Morrison <craig at fishpalace_org> wrote:

>. . . Find an old incandescent hood, one that uses screw
> in 10
> watt bulbs. Go
> to your local hardware store and look for 19 watt
> Sylvania screw in
> compact fluorescent lamps. You'll have to bend the
> reflector a bit, but
> it does work, I have 2 tanks running here for over a year
> on this exact
> setup.
>
> --
> Craig Morrison

=====
Plant your feet in the nation's capital and learn the art of aquascaping Senske style.

The Annual AGA Convention, November 12-14, 2004.
Registration *and* Banquet only $98 until October 28.

Convention Details/Registration at aquatic-gardeners.org & gwapa.org