[APD] cutting lighting costs

If I have a double bulb ballast, can I make it run only a single bulb?

My ballasts are Philips R-2S32 TPC and if I remove one of the T8s, the
other won't light.

How about a different approach; let's assume that we can get by with
relatively less overall lighting and slow down growth rates and algae
problems; that's fine. We still want to have the nice patch of
Glossostigma in the foreground but the darn stem plants keep growing too
fast and over shading it and require more pruning that I'd personally
like to do. We should be able to light up that Glosso using a small
halogen spot with a nice efficient parabolic reflector right? This has
been mentioned before many years ago. Is anybody using this approach?

Steve P