Re: [APD] Re: myths

Shade issues aside, it's an easily repeatable process to
have many kinds of stem plants become redder when they are
closer to the lights. Is this a heat effect? Even in an
aquarium with strong water currents?

[I haven't tried it but an interesting experiment would be
to put strong light shinging through one of he vertical
panels of an aquarium and see if the stem plants became
redder near that added light than when farther away. My
money is on the plants nearest the added light becomine
redder. ;-)  ]

Just looking at the illumination of plants near and right
under under the bulbs one sees brighter lighting than at
lower depths.

So why do folks think that the light is just as strong at
depths than near the water surface below the lights?

Even if light is reflected off of the aquarium glass
panels, refelction is not a 100% return on investment. Even
very efficient reflectors do not refelct 100% of the light
that hits them.

Scott H.
--- "Byron J. Yu" <sixty9 at gmail_com> wrote:

> > Many folks add a lot of light on their tanks, believing
> the myth that more light is better and will give you
> redder coloration and the ability to grow Riccia and
> Gloss etc well, this is simply put: a myth.
> >

> Assuming lights don't have an effect on the coloration of
> a plant as
> stated by Tom, and assuming the light intensity doesn't
> change over
> the depth of an aquarium, as i've read previously in the
> forum, y do
> some of my stem plants (Ludwigia inclinata var.
> verticillata
> (''Cuba''), Ludwigia arcuata ) turn red as they get
> taller (closer to
> the surface of the water)?

=====
Want to get dirty but stay clean?

Diana Walstad, author of _Ecology of the Planted Aquarium_ will discuss soil supplemented aquarium substrates at the 2004 AGA Convention.

Convention Details/Registration at aquatic-gardeners.org & gwapa.org