[APD] Re: Coralife CF questions and when do CFs die?

(snip)
> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:16:27 -0500
> From: Donald <donalddavis at mac_com>
> Subject: [APD] Coralife CF questions and when do CF's die
> To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
>
> My LFS carries the Coralife CF's and I was interested in buying the
> 4x65W model this weekend.  Any good, bad, or ugly information about
> these?  I am putting them on an Oceanic 120 (4x2x2).
>
> Also, I thought I remembered reading a reply from Tom Barr (several
> years ago) about CF's and he stated that they do not lose "strength"
> over time like regular FL's or MH's.  Can someone point me to that
> reply?  Or at least re-iterate so I know my information is correct.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Donald
(snip)

Donald,
I have the Coralife Freshwater Aqualite 2 x 65 watt fixture, and I am
pleased with it. The color rendition of the 6700K bulbs is really nice, IMO.
The built in cooling fans are nice as well. A well built unit. You may want
to consider getting the attachable legs that raise it above the tank about 2
inches or so if you have any heat issues with it right on the top glass.

In some cases, I have used the same CF bulbs in tanks for a period of up to
two years and have not seen any growth issues in the plants I can identify.
I thought the Kelvin Spectrum of most bulbs (CF, RF, VHO, MH) could shift
with increasing hours of use. I usually replace if one blows, or if the
color of the bulb starts making the plants appear strange. For example, I
had four Hamilton 175 watt 6500K halides on my 240 gallon tank, and the
bulbs gave off a green cast that did not go away after burn in, and all the
reds in the tank turned brown in appearance (green + red + brown). I was
able to return them and get another 6500K brand that I am pleased with
(Coralife, actually). So I go by how the bulbs make the plants look to gauge
when to replace them.

Regards,
Dave