Re: [APD] Paintball CO2 - interest?

Sounds like you've done some homework on this.

But I think some careful shopping can get you started with
a "regular" system for as little money if you don't insist
on premium parts, which arent necesary, and you don't pay
thos fish store prices that are unreasonably high.

But the long term cost makes this more expensive than any
other option. The diff in cost might not be realized for
several years if you have only a small aquarium and good
CO2 retention. But if yo have several aquaria or large
aquaria, those refill prices are gonna get you.

The same point can be made about 5 pound versus 10 pounds
versus 20 pound tanks. The bigger they are the cheaper the
gas.

Scott H.
--- Andy Lavery <wagoneer78 at hotmail_com> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> After some discussion in APC chat about it, and meeting
> up with a paintball
> wizard... I can say for sure - using paintball CO2
> bottles for planted
> aquaria is definitely on the horizon.
>
> I say this because I found a source, and some rough
> pricing on some custom
> work...
>
> Problem as with all manufacturers - is to make it worth
> their time and
> effort - they want a substantial minimum order (this case
> - 150).
>
> How many of you out there would be interested? For rough
> estimate of 40us$
> you'd get a fixed regulator, very fine adjustment needle
> valve (According to
> the manufacturer, they will do as low as 1bpm), and a
> tank side pressure
> guage. Just the basics - I'm sure one can add solenoids
> etc later if they
> wished.
>
> Advantages: Basically initial price. Pressurized system
> for 70$us (20/24 oz
> paintball tanks/bottles are under 30$) Refills might be a
> little easier to
> find for those in areas away from industrial sources.
> Size could make them
> an attractive option for those with nano tanks at the
> office... And there is
> the bling factor - after all, no exchanges - so blow all
> the $ you want on a
> fancy bottle
>
> Disadvantages: Long term cost - refills for the little
> bottles run 5-10$,
> and they wont last near as long as the 5lb you could get
> refilled for about
> the same price... Otherwise, it's basically the same
> system.
>
> So, what sayeth APD?
>
> Andy

=====
Want to get dirty but stay clean?

Diana Walstad, author of _Ecology of the Planted Aquarium_ will discuss soil supplemented aquarium substrates at the 2004 AGA Convention.

Convention Details/Registration at aquatic-gardeners.org & gwapa.org