From: Jim Seidman [mailto:james at mail1_seidman.net]
Sent: 19 August 2004 19:02
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: [APD] RE: Can one just give up?

John, I have to agree with Ken Simolo that it isn't pH shock. I have also
transferred fish between different pHs with no problem. Also, fish in sealed
bags often wind up at a pH of 6 or less because of the CO2 being generated.

My guess is ammonia poisoning from a much-too-long acclimation period. I
suspect that the pH in the bag wasn't nearly as high as you suspect, since
CO2 can dissipate out rather quickly. The pH in an open bag can rise a fair
amount over time, converting ammonium into ammonia.

The rather knowledgeable LFS owner who sold me my first tank insisted that
fish should be acclimated for more than 20 minutes, but never more than
that. However, I've discovered over the years that I have the best success
skipping acclimation altogether. I just dump the fish straight from the bag
into my quarantine tank with no floating, water mixing, etc.

I'm sure some people will be aghast over this suggestion, but it works well
for me!

- Jim