Re: [APD] Can one just give up?

Thanks for all the input.. it is much appreciated. The selenoid route.. this
just makes my head spin.... I don't understand that at all. Maybe if I had
one in my hand... and could get tactile about it I would be better off. I

All the solenoid is is a valve that turns the CO2 on and off depending on whether or not the pH controller is electrifying the valve. Think of it as an on/off switch for the gas that has a remote control that the pH controller is in charge of. The basic function works the same as sprinkler solenoid valves in an automatic lawn sprinkler setup if that helps you visualize it.

[snip]
happen... so suggested we try to look at other things. The suggestion was to
change the charcoal since it has not been changed in months ( on the HOT
mangnam)... What he explained is that the carbon can only hold so much
toxicity.... and that there may be some form of toxicty in the tank that
can't be measured. The reason for his going this route is that we have had
major fish kills when we have done partial water changes.... what he
explained to me is that if the charcoal is maxed out in what it can hold..
that when there is a water change... the charcoal will release some of the
toxicity as a way of trying to maintain balance. This makes sense to me in
hindsight of having so many problems with fish kills after water
Hmmm. You shouldn't really need the carbon cartridge with a planted tank (I don't even use a filter at all on my tanks, except for the occasional sponge filter in little grow-out tanks). If you have fish kill problems after water changes, it is possible that you may have chloramine in your water supply and your dechlorinator isn't removing it. There is a *lot* of information in the archives about this problem that you may want to read through. New activated carbon cartridges might help reduce the problem but they aren't really a "proper" solution if chloramine is the cause of the problem. If you have another fish kill, try checking the ammonia level as soon as you notice it (the archive info will explain the chemistry). An "ammorid" or other ammonia-absorbing cartridge, while short-lived, might also help limit the damage done if you can catch an ammonia problem quickly enough.

-Bill

***************************** Waveform Technology UNIX Systems Administrator