RE: [APD] Can one just give up?

You could use a solenoid to open when the pH get down to a
specific level. Have the Solenoid teed off the CO2 line
that goes into the tank. When the solenoid opens, the CO2
bleeds out through the solenoid instead of going into the
tank. You won't be using any less CO2, but if, without the
solenoid, it's dumping more than is desired, you won't be
wasting any *more* -- and you won't be hurting the fish.

If a conventional aquarium pH controller was used, then
you'd want a solenoid that's normally open (when not
energized) instead of normally closed (when not energized).

Scott H.

--- Laith Arif <laith at swissonline_ch> wrote:

> You need to reduce the CO2 injection rate.
>
> Not sure how this is done with a DIY setup.  On a
> pressurized setup one
> usually uses a bubble counter and then fine tunes the
> bubble rate with a
> needle valve.  Or a pH controller which turns the CO2 off
> and on (via a
> solenoid) depending on the desired pH that you set.
>
> I would hesitate to use some type of valve on a DIY to
> reduce the output
> because you will put backpressure into the DIY bottle,
> risking it
> breaking/exploding and then yeast will be everywhere...
>
> If you're using more than one bottle of DIY than you
> could try removing one.
>
> Laith

=====
Want to get dirty but stay clean?

Diana Walstad, author of _Ecology of the Planted Aquarium_ will discuss soil supplemented aquarium substrates at the 2004 AGA Convention.

Convention Details/Registration at aquatic-gardeners.org & gwapa.org