Re: [APD] Lighting voltage question

Welcome back, Jacques.

If the ballasts were designed only for 110-120VAC then you
won't get the proper output from the ballast if you power
them directly with 220-240VAC. A simple magnetic ballast
probably will not be damaged by the higher input voltage
but it is likely to overload your bulbs. An electronic
ballast designed only for the lower input voltage might be
damaged by the higher input voltage.

For such ballasts, I think a stepdown transfer is your best
bet to run ballast designed for 110-120VAC.

However, I think most of the ballast manufacturers make
ballasts that will operate at the higher voltage. And some
of the electronic ballasts are designed to operate at 120
and 240V.

Ballasts that operate certain straight tube fluorescents
will work fine with the so-called powercompacts. For
example, a ballast that will operate a pair of 54watt T5
High outout fluorescents (F54T5HO Lamp) will operate a pair
of 55watt Power Compacts (FT55W/2G11 & FT50W/2G11) that
require a 2G11 socket. A good example is the Universal
model FT55W/2G11 & FT50W/2G11. This ballast will operate on
a line voltage of 120-277VAC and properly run a single or a
pair of either type of bulb.

The Advance ballast model HF-P 255 PLL is a 220-240V model
that operates two 55watt bulbs. Model HF-P 155 operates on
220-240V and operates on 55 watt bulbs. Advance is owned by
Philips so a supply house that handles Philips will
probably handle Advance.

The 54 watt T5s and the 55watt PCs are so close in
operating characteristics that a ballast that will run one
will run the either, a general rule.

You might try electric supply houses to see if these
ballast can be ordered.

Hope that helps.

Scott H.

--- jacques gerber <s21340952 at tuks_co.za> wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> I've just gotten back into planted aquaria after a few
> years hiatus.
> I've had a tank the whole time, but its been a bit
> neglected. Due to
> space limitations I've set up an 18"x8"x12" tank. I'm
> interested in
> using power compacts on this tank, but the interesting
> stuff seems to be
> mostly for the US (110 volts?), while we run at 230
> volts. The problem
> appears to be ballasts. PC bulbs are nearly unknown here.
> Any
> suggestions short of hanging the control gear off a
> step-down transformer?

=====
Want to get dirty but stay clean?

Diana Walstad, author of _Ecology of the Planted Aquarium_ will discuss soil supplemented aquarium substrates at the 2004 AGA Convention.

Convention Details/Registration at aquatic-gardeners.org & gwapa.org