[APD] Re: fired clays - "Flourite"

Robert Flory wrote:

> Only half joking, cut a geologists beer ration short and we get really
> surly.

Try bourbon.

> I'd hate to hazard a guess about the exact source of "Fluorite", never
> having been in the area and not finding much on the net.

Fluorite is calcium difluoride.  "Flourite" is a Seachem product.

> That said, ;-)
> it sure look a lot like the fired clays adjacent to burned out coal beds in
> Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas. They range from relatively soft typically
> soft orange red - red to really hard blue - black and glassy. If it is
> natural it has to be some sort of cooked clay or shale.

I made that observation soon after it came out, but I doubt it's accurate.
Greg Morin has said that "Flourite" (quotes for Wright) is a natural material
and that it has experienced heat.  That's about as far as he was willing to
go.  I don't think he said that the heat was natural.  I think it looks a lot
like what you might get if you underfired some bricks, then crushed the
results.  Or maybe if you crushed old bricks.

> Regardless, I have it on good authority (Dr. Robert Houston, former chairman
> UW Wyo. Dept geology) that its just dirt, he used to claim anything younger
> than the Pre-Cambrian, was just dirt covering up the interesting stuff. ;-)

Pre-Cambrian?  Hah!  That's underburden.

Roger Miller