Re: [APD] Furniture glides on the bottom of tank stand?

You can do this and you might not experience problems. But
there is some risk. And I think any tank manufacturer would
advise against it.

On a very small tank, it might not be too risky. A
potential problem with moving a tank with water in it is
that the water tends to slosh and the forces shift from one
side to the other with the slosh -- and it can unevenly
stress one or the other of the glass panels. The issue gets
worse with bigger tanks because the stresses can be
greater.

Another issue, if you over a wood floor, is that the floor
can settle if the tank has been in place for a while, so
that it's sitting slight divots/depressions/sags -- call
them what you will. Moving the tank slightly can raise one
corner more than the others and unevenly stress the
aquarium.

I doubt that these things will cause serious problems most
of the time. The probability is low, but a leaky tank or
broken panel is a darned awful thing to deal with.

Once filled, an aquarium ought to be left in place. If you
need to move it slightly for a speical reason, drain down
the water as much as practical and carefully reposition. If
you need to move te tank often, consider a single move to a
another location.

Scott H.
--- NYCMags <heavensabvus1 at yahoo_com> wrote:

> Has anyone ever attached furniture glides the bottom
> of their tank stand?  If I had to make minor
> adjustments to tank position later on I thought this
> might be helpful.
>
> They would be the type you buy at a home improvement
> store and nail in.  Anyone had any experience with
> this?  Bad idea?
>
> Valerie

=====
Want to get dirty but stay clean?

Diana Walstad, author of _Ecology of the Planted Aquarium_ will discuss soil supplemented aquarium substrates at the 2004 AGA Convention.

Convention Details/Registration at aquatic-gardeners.org & gwapa.org