[APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 12, Issue 20

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 01:42:42 -0700
> From: "Robert H" <robertph3 at comcast_net>
> Subject: [APD] Re:Flourite vs. Soil
> To: <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>

SNIP

> But James, you went on to support the idea in what you said that Flourite
> and soil are not the same thing. Flourite is clay, pure clay.
SNIP

> Best regards

PLEASE ....

Fluorite is NOT clay.  It may have been once but it isn't clay anymore.
A clay is a soft thin platy mineral.  If it is hard it's been altered and is
something else.

Fluorite looks like clay that has been altered either by fire or
mineralization.

Despite having more luck with it than other substrates ...
I must admit personally as a geologist I find the name it's self
objectionable.

fluorite is calcium fluoride a mineral.

Bob
Grumpy old gray bearded geologist